CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Thing 13: Productivity

I found that thing 13 to be very interesting and something that I would like to discover when I have more time especially some of the related articles like the 2007 Guide to free software and webapps which had some really interesting items like utorrent which allows me to download BitTorrents which are usually web shows like Torchwood which we don't get in the US. However, though I like some of the productivity tools some of then I think would in actually waste more time then they would save. An example of this is costuming you Google or Yahoo home page. I did this at home with my Google Home page and I am really sorry that I did because now it takes twice as long to upload that page for information I really don't look at especially when I just want to move onto another website.
I have used Google Calendar extensively because at our library we offer meeting rooms to the public and I put all that information into a Google calendar. What I like about Google calendar is that it is easy to work with and easy to understand especially for people who don't work with it as extensively as I do. What I mean is that other staff members can use this calendar to find out if rooms are available fairly easy. What I also like is that you can add more then one calendar and then have them all be different colors; which is what I did for each meeting room. Also, we have several meeting that occur monthly and this is a really great feature because it saves me a lot of time that I would originally have to use imputing information. On the same line there is also the duplicate option which allows me to create multiple entries for the same group at different time very easily. So, if you cannot tell I love Google Calendars which has made my life and I want to think staffs life a little bit easier. So, calenders are a really helpful tool even if you don't have meeting room it is great for keeping track of library events.
I also looked at the Ta-Da Lists which first I needed to create an account and then I could create several lists which I did find interesting because you can check off items and within your list it will show up as another list of done items. The Main page shows each list and the amount of items you still have to complete. The final thing I looked at was Backpack and Stikkit which I took tours of. I found both to be interesting and similar. As, both include lists, notes, documents, pictures, tages, calendars, and much more. I found them especially good for sharing information like a Wiki but better formatted and when your library is a large region this could be a good thing.

0 comments: