CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Thing 12: Media

Social Media Sites are something I have seen but didn't realize what they were. I had already been on Digg watching videos that people have submitted to the 9, which is a web show created by Yahoo and hosted by Maria Sansone. If you have never seen it check it out, it sometimes has some really good websites. Back to social media sites, as I said before I have already experienced Digg which unfortunately you have to sign up in order to digg something. I did look at the other three media sites and found that in all of them you need to sign up to rate and submit news articles, pictures, and videos. However, the rating system for some of them were very interesting; you either vote up or down which brings the total higher or lower giving almost an average total. You can also add comments to the stories and etc that you look at. I liked the outline of all these sites besides Reddit because it was just straight lists with no pictures. Finally, I tried to join Digg to add an article to it however digg didn't want me to join because every time I would press Join Digg it would just bring me back to its home page. :( So I decided to join Mixx instead. It was really easy to sign onto Mixx they just asked your email address and a password. Once I had signed in I went to the BBC website and I firstly tried to submit a story about China but it had already been submitted. So I found a better story about Bruno the bear, a wild bear which touched the hearts of Germans for weeks in 2006 is stuffed and put on public display. The article is short but interesting, I tried to add a link to the title; just click on Thing 12: Media so that you can look at the article. This took me a long time to figure out how to add a link and were it is but I finally figured it out. Lastly, I think that Social Media Sites are a great idea as we have so many news junkies that come into our library; however the only problem is we don't have enough computers for all the people who would like to use these sites.

0 comments: